Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Hello.



My name is Liz and I am a writer.

I have written many things over the past decade or so. Essays, research papers, reflections, blog posts, letters, and post cards have been written, edited, re-written, and lovingly massaged. This vast array of words - from areas of interest such as religion, antiquities and classical thought, social justice, mindfulness, education, and psychology - have all coalesced into a beautiful tangle of knowledge. It has changed me deeply. And, it all needs some air.

I have decided to share these past efforts, along with new ones, so that perhaps friends may enjoy reading. Some may be reading for the first time, while others may have read but forgotten. Some of it is challenging, some informative, some just plain silly. But in a world of heaviness, sometimes we need something else to think about ... something other than politics, sensationalism, and harm.

I have spent the last 10+ years researching, writing, and polishing my critical thinking skills. I hope you will take the time to read along, if only to niggle your brain in a different direction, and even if you don't agree. Perhaps something you read here will drop like a seed only to sprout into something else in due time. And when it does, I want to read it.

I am glad you are here.

Warmly,

The (Sweet &) Salty Wordsmith


Postscript - apparently, the slang 'salty' is indicative of one who is annoyed or resentful, especially if criticized or bested in some way. I have read that the slang has been around since the late 1800s, however I sense a change in the wind. All words evolve, and I think this slang 'label' is taking on a hint of pride. For example, people wear shirts that announce their 'saltiness' (as evidenced in the pic above), or a person saying on social media that they feel 'salty', meaning they are irritated at life in general (and who can blame them?). I named this blog the Salty Wordsmith mostly because I tend to be a bit sarcastic (which I interpret to be rather salty), and I also live on the Pacific Coast of Washington State. It is very salty here! So, that's it - the Salty Wordsmith, or salty wordie, for short.

4 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading your material

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the most incredible people I know! I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, Holly! Thank you for such a compliment! Thank you so much for reading <3

      Delete

Opinion: Student Debt Relief

 After reading and listening to the differing opinions about the newly announced government student debt relief, I have come to some conclus...